Castelli International School (C.I.S.) of Grottaferrata have once again been invited to attend HMUN from January 30 to February 2, 2020. It is their 18th year of participation in this extraordinary event. They will first fly to NYC to visit the real United Nations and then proceed to Boston to address the most pressing issues of the day with more than 3000 students coming from all over the world.
This year CIS delegates will represent Portugal in ten committees.The conference theme this year is ‘Diplomacy in the Age of Globalization’ which will permeate all the committee topics. By working together they can foster change in a world that is becoming increasingly intertwined. Students will debate on issues pertinent to past, present, and future crises on a global scale. They will collaborate and negotiate with fellow delegates on some of the most divisive issues. In doing this they will acquire skills in effective negotiating, public speaking, critical thinking and teamwork.
The committees and topics that the students have prepared for are as follows:
- Israel/Palestine in 2030
- Sustainable Development Goals 2030
- WHO Access to Healthcare for Displaced persons
- World Conference on Women: Sexual violence in warfare
- Special Summit on the Opioid Epidemic
- UNESCO: Global Education
- Commission on Science and Technology for Development
- International Monetary Fund
- International Atomic Energy Agency on the pros and cons of Nuclear Energy Plants
- Organization of American States and Access to Healthcare
The greatest educational opportunity in this experience lies in the lessons the delegates learn from each other coming from radically different backgrounds from all over the world.
We wish them all the best of luck!