Today, Class 4 “travelled” to Japan during their Food Literacy lesson. They learned how to make a special vegetarian Sushi without fish. We chose to use whole-grain rice instead of white rice because we learned in our previous lessons that refined grains, like white rice have the most nutritious part removed and we want every bite we put in our mouths to be the most nutritious as possible. Whole-grain rice has more fibre, vitamins and minerals than white rice.
- Whole grain rice,
- Nori sheets,
- steamed green beans,
- cucumbers, carrots,
- low-sodium soy sauce,
- rice vinegar,
- a little sugar and a little salt.
1. Boil the whole grain rice
2. Make a sauce with 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar, 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1/2 a teaspoon of salt.
3. Mix the sauce in 3 cups of the cooked rice, it must be hot.
4. With moist hands, spread the rice onto the nori sheet, leaving a 3 cm space on the top border
5. Cut the vegetables length-wise and put them on the bottom side of the nori sheet, on top of the rice.
6. Roll the nori sheet, pressing well after each roll
7. Slice the roll into 3cm pieces
8. Dip into soy sauce and enjoy