Thanks to the beautiful grounds which our school provides, Grade 5 children have been able to take part in the “Vendemmia” – harvesting the grapes, learning how to make wine and producing beautiful art. We also linked the activity to a language task, so students practiced and published writing instructions in English.
OPEN DAY COMING SOON
Instructions for Wine Making
- Pick some grapes and make sure you get them at the end of September or in October, like this your grapes will be mature.
- De-stem all the grapes and be careful not to leave any mouldy or ruined grapes.
- After you have checked that every grape is mature, put the grapes into a large bucket.
- Crush the grapes with bare feet, but make sure that your feet are clean!!!
- Leave the big bucket with crushed grapes in a cool, dark place for about one week.
Pressing and Fermentation
- Put the crushed grapes into a wine press to extract some grape juice/must.
- Pour all the grape juice/must into a demijohn.
- Put one end of a cork with a plastic tube in the demijohn and the other end of the tube in a jug of water so that the oxygen doesn’t come in the demijohn but the carbon dioxide can go out.
- Leave the demijohn in a cool, dark place for about one month.
- Leave it there to ferment.