You are to read at least three books but you are encouraged to read more! One is a historical novel that your teacher has already assigned (see below),
- one must be a classic, and
- one of your own choice.
Below is the title of the historical novel your teachers chose, you can order it on Amazon:
Catherine, Called Birdy, by Karen Cushman (Teacher: Ms. Joanna)
The novel is set in the Middle Ages, it’s about an English man’s daughter who longs for adventure and doesn’t want to get married.
The Devil and His Boy, by Anthony Horowitz (Teacher: Mr. Clarke)
The novel is set in Elizabethan England and is the story of a 13 year old boy who joins a troupe of actors and then learns that they are planning to overthrow Queen Elizabeth.
War Horse, by Michael Morpurgo (Teacher: Ms. Natasha).
The novel is set during the First World War, where Joey, a horse, is sold to the army and is trained to be a war horse. He experiences the drama of the battlefield and war in general.
For the historical novel please write a book report explaining how a character of your choice represents that historical period. For the classic and for the book of your choice prepare 2 oral reports to present on the first week of school. Have fun!
Format of book report:
- Give title and author on top of page.
- Tell time and place of story and give a short summary of plot.
- Name and briefly describe main characters and tell what problem they face.
- Describe one of your favourite incidents in the book.
- Explain why you would or would not recommend the book to your classmates.